A teacher is the only one who plants the seeds of wisdom in the life of their students and waters them with their knowledge, patience, and persistence, for their students to receive fruits and flowers of success, power, strength, stability, and prosperity.
Every year on the 5th of September Teachers day is celebrated in India. It is a special day celebrated in honor of teachers. And it is also celebrated as the birth anniversary of Dr. Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan. He was one of the best scholars and teachers this country has ever seen. He was also the second President of India. In this article, I’m going to share the history and significance of teacher’s day and how it gets celebrated in India along with some celebration ideas for Teachers Day 2022.
History of Teachers day
India has been celebrating Teachers day on 5th September since 1962 as the birth anniversary of Dr. Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan. He was a teacher, philosopher, educationist, recipient of Bharat Ratna, first vice President, and second President of independent India. He was born on 5 September 1888. when he was president of India, he was approached by some of his students and friends to celebrate his birthday. But Dr. Krishnan responded- ‘Instead of observing my birth date discretely, it would be my pompous privilege if 5th September is recognized as teachers day. Such a request coming from the President of India clearly showcased his affection and dedication for teachers. From then onwards India celebrates Teachers day on the 5th of September. He also said that – “The true teachers are those who help us think for ourselves.” – Dr. Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan
Teachers day 2022: Significance of Teachers day
Teacher’s day is not just any ordinary day, but this whole day is dedicated to teachers who not only provide knowledge but shape our lives. It is the teacher who not only guides us today but shapes our future. It is the teacher who lets us know the difference between good and evil and gives us the strength to fight and stand against every situation in life. We heartily dedicate this day to teachers to acknowledge their priceless contributions to the country and society. Teachers play a significant role in the life of students as they not only teach us bookish knowledge but also life lessons that remain with us for our entire life.
This day is important to both teacher and student. Students are excited to celebrate this day by honoring their teacher. And teachers are excited to receive love and care from their students. It is the day when any student can show respect for their teachers and acknowledge their wisdom. Even according to our Prime Minister Narendra Modi “Teaching is not a profession, but a way of life”. Teaching is not a profession but “Jeevan Dharm” (a way of life).
The true significance of Teachers day can be understood by this Sanskrit shloka-
गुरुर्ब्रह्मा गुरुर्विष्णु र्गुरुर्देवो महेश्वरः
गुरु साक्षात परब्रह्मा तस्मै श्रीगुरवे नमः
This means, that the guru is Brahma, who is the Lord of Creation, also called a Generator. Guru Vishnu means Guru is Vishnu (Vishnu is the Lord who is called organizer). Then Guru Devo Maheshwara means Guru is the Maheshwara (Shiva or the destroyer). Guru Sakshat Parabrahma means Parbrahma viz. the supreme god or almighty.
Since Guru leads to a path of light, Guru is Para Brahma. Tasmai Shri Guruve Namah means we bow to that Guru the guru referred to earlier. This auspicious mantra was recited and chanted on teacher’s day.
Teachers day 2022: Celebrations on Teachers day
Teacher’s day is an auspicious occasion. It is greatly celebrated in schools and colleges by offering humble gratitude to teachers. Here is a list of celebrations that are and can be done to celebrate this day.
- Lamp lighting – In India everything auspicious occasion starts with a god’s name, and by offering salutations to god.
- By offering garlands to Dr. Sarvpalli Radhakrishnan- Teachers day can be celebrated by remembering doctor Radhakrishnan as it is his birthday that we greatly celebrate on this scale.
- Dance performance– Dance is a unique expression to convey your feelings, various kinds of dance performances were prepared to celebrate this day.
- Singing – students can sing songs to express their love and respect for their teachers as well.
- Games– This can be celebrated by Playing various games with teachers and by making bonds with teachers.
- Gratitude program – This day is incomplete without this, we can offer flowers, greeting cards, and memorable gifts to teachers and express our humble gratitude to teachers for all the knowledge and wisdom they are continuously pouring at us.
- Speech– On this day special speeches can also be prepared by students along with the recitation of poetry and Sanskrit shlokas.
- Decorations– Classes, school core doors, and assembly halls can be decorated with flowers, ribbons, candles, and many more things.
- Throw a party for teachers- Any celebration is incomplete without a party, food, and fun, students can throw a party for their teachers.
I hope you find these ideas worth interesting to celebrate teachers day 2022.
And I also hope that you offer your deepest gratitude to your teachers this teacher’s day.
Apoorva is a Data Analyst by profession, Data Enthusiast, and likes to work and analyze data. She is a published poet, writer, painter, art, and music lover. She likes to chant Vedas and loves reading books in several genres. She believes that life is a series of tiny miracles and we just need to notice them, we just need to enjoy the ‘life’ ride patiently.